Copenhagen, the vibrant heart of Denmark, is a treasure trove of experiences waiting to be uncovered. Among these, the Canal Cruise from Nyhavn stands out as an exceptional experience. In this blog, I’ll delve into why it’s the absolute best thing to do in Copenhagen. And just so you know, this post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase. Trust me when I say, I’ve done this activity twice, and it’s been mesmerizing each time!
Why this is the best thing to do in Copenhagen
- 🏰 Historic Exploration: Travel back in time as you pass ancient castles and majestic palaces.
- 🎨 Picturesque Nyhavn: Marvel at the 17th-century colorful waterfront, a sight straight out of a postcard.
- 🌊 Iconic Little Mermaid: Witness the renowned Little Mermaid statue in all its glory.
- 👑 Royal Residences: Enjoy views of Amalienborg Palace, the winter abode of the Danish royal family.
- 🚤 Guided Journey: With expert guides, immerse yourself in the rich tales of Copenhagen’s past and present.
Why the Nyhavn Canal Cruise is Worth Doing
1. A Historical Dive into Copenhagen's Past
Copenhagen is a seamless blend of past and present. And there’s no better way to witness this blend than on a canal cruise. As you drift along, you’re not just moving through water but through time itself. From the imposing palaces of Christiansborg and Amalienborg to the ancient Nyhavn waterfront, you’re treated to a visual narrative of Copenhagen’s rich history.
2. The Vibrant Colors of Nyhavn
The Nyhavn waterfront, dating back to the 17th century, is a riot of colors. This lively area, with its historic ships and buildings painted in bright hues, embodies the spirit of Copenhagen. For many, this section of the cruise is a highlight, offering countless photo opportunities and a chance to soak in the city’s vivacious aura.
3. Encounter the Legendary Little Mermaid
No visit to Copenhagen is complete without meeting the city’s most famous resident: The Little Mermaid. Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale, this statue has been a beacon for tourists for years. The canal cruise provides a unique perspective, allowing you to appreciate her beauty from the water.
4. Glimpse into Royal Lives
Copenhagen’s royal history is fascinating. With the cruise, you get to sail past Amalienborg Palace, the winter residence of the Danish royal family. This architectural marvel, combined with the tales shared by the guide, offers a rare peek into the lives of royalty.
5. An Informed Voyage
What sets the Canal Cruise from Nyhavn apart is the expert guidance. With live commentary in both Danish and English, you’re constantly immersed in stories and facts about the landmarks you pass by. This informed journey ensures that you take away more than just pictures; you carry with you a piece of Copenhagen’s soul.
So, if you’re in Copenhagen or planning a visit, don’t miss out on this delightful experience. After all, seeing the city from its canals is an adventure like no other.