A travel backpack is not just a backpack, it is your travel buddy. It will be going with you wherever you will go. Europe is beautiful, it encompasses some of the most tremendous sights in the world. Historic buildings, cathedrals, castles, palaces, stunning views of nature, tall yet modern buildings, Europe has got it all! Hence, you will be traveling from one place to another and your backpack will be with you! This post includes affiliate marketing links on which we could earn a commission.
To help you pick the best backpack, we have created a list of the best backpacks for a trip to Europe. But before that, we need to address one question and that is:
What makes a travel backpack good?
A good travel backpack must be the following:
|Comfortable||Since you will be traveling from one place to another, the backpack must be comfortable to carry. It must not put all the pressure on your neck and shoulders. Also, the shoulder straps should be padded.|
|Spacious||If you cannot fit all your stuff in your travel backpack then it is pretty much useless.|
|Organizable||You must be able to organize all your stuff for easy access at the time of need.|
|Durable||The backpack should be strong enough to last you for quite a while.|
Top 10 Best Backpacks for a Trip to Europe
1. Extra Large 50L Travel Laptop Backpack with USB Charging Port Fit 17 Inch Laptops
First up, we have an extra-large travel backpack by SHRRADOO. It is available in three different colors including black, blue, and purple. It is made with polyester which is pretty strong.
What we love the most about this backpack is that it has a large number of pockets where three of which are the main compartments. The main compartments are able to fit clothes, laptops, office essentials, toiletries, or any other thing that you would like to carry.
It is a perfect backpack to take with you when you are traveling from one city to another. It is not very big either, you can comfortably take it to a cute coffee shop nearby where you can just chill or work on your laptop.
- Product Dimensions: 15.16 x 10.79 x 4.92 inches
- Item Weight: 2.76 pounds
- Pockets: It consists of 20 pockets where 3 of which are the main compartments. The pockets allow the users to keep everything organized so that they can be easily accessed later on.
- External USB Port: The backpack comes with an external USB port and set-in charging cables with which users can charge their phones easily.
- Padded laptop compartment: The padded laptop compartment keeps the laptop away from everything else and keeps it safe.
- Top Handle: People who like the carry the backpack from the top handle can use it for easy carrying.
- Breathable yet padded shoulder straps: The shoulder straps ensure breathability and since they are padded, the users can easily carry the backpack for hours.
2. Amazon Basics Carry-On Travel Backpack
The Amazon Basics Carry-On Travel Backpack is available in three colors including black, navy, and red. It is a perfect blend of convenience and comfort. It is specifically designed for traveling and it is made with premium quality polyester.
What we love about this backpack is that it is pretty lightweight. So, it will not be adding to the weight of the stuff that you will be carrying.
- Product Dimensions: 15.75 x 21.5 x 8.25 inches
- Item Weight: 2.76 pounds
- Adjustable straps: The straps of this backpack are pretty comfortable because of the padding and they allow comfortable carrying. There is also a removable strap that can be used for various other carrying options.
- Laptop sleeve: The laptop sleeve can be used to safely keep the laptop in it. However, when the laptop is not being used it merges into the main compartment providing more space.
- Multiple compartments: Since it has multiple compartments, it becomes suitable for traveling, school, hiking, camping, and other various purposes.
3. Matein Travel Laptop Backpack
Whether you are traveling to Europe for business, tourism, or for education, this backpack will be a great companion because of its amazing features.
We really want to appreciate that it is available in a variety of colors and the fact that it has an affordable price. Not many well-made backpacks come at an affordable price.
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 12 x 7.8 inches
- Item Weight: 1.56 pounds
- Multiple Compartments: This backpack has a main compartment with lots of space, a special compartment for the laptop, and a front organizer compartment. It comes with other pockets too such as the side mesh pockets for water bottles.
- External USB charging port: This port allows the users to charge their phone whenever they like.
- Luggage strap: In case you carry it as a hand-carry on your next flight, it comes with a luggage strap with which you can secure it into place.
- Anti-theft zipper pocket: All your important documents can be safe in the anti-theft zipper pocket.
4. YOREPEK Backpack for Men
Here we have another extra-large backpack for men. All those guys, who intend to carry just one backpack to their Euro Trip should get their hands on this.
It is available in different colors so you can get your favorite one. You will also definitely be impressed by its practicality and the convenience that it has to offer!
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 8 x 13.9 inches
- Item Weight: 2.42 pounds
- Water-resistant material: The material that is used in the making of this backpack is water-resistant. So, even if it starts raining while you are walking, there is nothing to worry about. All your belongings will remain safe.
- Inside phone bag: While you are walking, you can keep your phone safe in the inside phone bag.
- Large Capacity: It has 20+ pockets so it will fit all your stuff. Also, the shoulder straps are pretty comfortable, you will not have trouble carrying it.
5. SWISSGEAR 1900 ScanSmart Laptop Backpack- Black/Black
Then comes the SWISSGEAR backpack. In the world of backpacks, it is known for its superior quality. It is made with a tough and durable material so it can withstand the weather conditions. No matter where you go, in the desert or in the snow, the bag will withstand all the weather conditions.
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 18.5 x 13.5 inches
- Item Weight: 3.39 pounds
- Innovative Design: The design of this backpack is quite innovative which is why it offers more space. It also has a USB equipped charging.
- Multiple Compartments: The variety of compartments make this backpack perfect for organization.
- ScanSmart Lay Flat Technology: This technology makes sure that the laptop remains protected.
6. Osprey Porter 46 Travel Backpack
Osprey is a well-known brand and they are known to produce the highest quality backpacks. This backpack is also well-made and is perfect for traveling to Europe. This bag can be bought in five different colors.
The coolest thing about this backpack is that it is designed to meet the carry-on size restrictions of most airlines.
- Product Dimensions: 30 x 16 x 7 inches
- Item Weight: 3.4 pounds
- Laptop sleeve: this backpack has a separate sleeve for keeping the laptop safe and secure. It allows easier access as well.
- StraightJacket Compression: This compression keeps your items protected while allowing you to add more stuff to the backpack.
- U-zip opening: U-zip opening is the perfect backpack for traveling to Europe mainly because you can organize your clothes and other items very easily.
7. Kenneth Cole Reaction Chelsea Women’s Chevron Quilted
All the ladies out there, who are looking out for a backpack to travel with can get their hands on this Kenneth Cole Chevron Quilted backpack. Well, as soon as we saw it, we instantly fell in love!
Not only does it get the job done, but it also looks super attractive. You can even match it with your outfits while traveling.
- Item Weight: 1.88 pounds
- Colors: This super stylish backpack is available in four different colors.
- Storage Space: It has large main compartments that can include most of your traveling essentials. Also, there is a special padded compartment for keeping the laptop safe.
- Tear-Resistant: This backpack is made with tear-resistant material hence it will last you for quite some time.
8. KROSER Laptop Backpack
Next up we have the KROSER laptop backpack. Even though it is a laptop backpack but it is perfect for traveling around the city. Girls will definitely love its style and functioning.
It comes in different colors and is made of leather and nylon. So, it won’t let the items inside of it get wet.
This backpack is perfect for days when you want to go out to explore the cities in Europe. You may bring your laptop, your camera, pack some sandwiches and snacks and other essentials.
- Product Dimensions: 16.9 x 11.15 x 7.5 inches
- Item Weight: 10.4 ounces
- USB port design: With this feature, you get to charge your phone at any time you want.
- Multi-compartment: It has enough room to fit your laptop and other travel essentials. Smaller pockets can be used to keep smaller items.
- Convenient design: The design is quite convenient for users.
9. Matein Carry on Backpack, Extra Large Travel Backpack
Are you all set for your trip to Europe? Well, this backpack is all you need to pack your carry-on essentials in. The great thing about it is that it meets the size restrictions of airlines. If you are fond of backpacking, then this is the perfect one for you mainly because it has a large size.
We love the fact that it has a convertible design. So, when you want to carry it as a backpack you can do that. On the other hand, when you want to carry it like a briefcase, you can hide away the shoulder straps and it will be ready to be used as a briefcase.
- Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 13.5 x 6 inches
- Item Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Adjustable sternum straps: The adjustable sternum straps provide you greater support while you are walking.
- Expandable compartment: The expandable compartment allows you to have more space for packing.
- Front organizer pocket: It helps you in keeping all your belongings organized so you can access them easily.
10. Dinictis 40L Carry on Flight Approved Travel Laptop Backpack
Whether you are a student, a tourist, or a businessman, this backpack will fulfill your need as it is designed specifically to meet travel needs.
It is available in four different colors and is a blend of comfort, durability and convenience.
- Product Dimensions: 19.6 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches
- Item Weight: 2.49 pounds
- Hidden shoulder straps: The hideaway shoulder straps make it a convertible backpack. It can be easily carried as a backpack or as a briefcase.
- Durable: It is made with water repellent polyester and it is quite tough as well. Hence, it will last for a long.
- Easy to organize: Since it comes with a variety of pockets, it can be easily organized.
As we have seen the best backpacks for a trip to Europe, let’s now find out buying considerations.
Buying Considerations for Best Travel Backpack:
First, you need to consider the size and capacity of the backpack. Now, you need to know that there are three types of travel backpacks.
- Luggage: The backpack bags that are only used as a carry-backpack during the flight. Since they are usually very big, they are not really suitable for everyday use.
- Everyday Use: Then there are backpacks that are designed for everyday use only. They cannot fit a lot of your items. They are usually slightly smaller and lighter in weight.
- Luggage + Everyday Use: The third type of backpacks are those which can be used as a hand-carry or carry-on on the plane and can also be used for everyday use.
So, you need to figure out which kind of backpack you need. If you need a backpack for carry-on then it is best that you go for the extra-large size. If you need a backpack just to travel within the city or from one city to another, so you should get the everyday use backpack. Lastly, if you intend to do both with the same backpack then a medium or large-sized backpack would be suitable for you.
The backpack should not be very heavy. If it is very heavy itself then once you put your stuff in it, it will become even heavier. Carrying the backpack for a longer period of time will become an issue.
Just keep in mind that extra-large bags are slightly bulky but you can always get a trolly for them. Make sure that you get the right size. You don’t want it too small, and extra space is always welcome. So, opt for a bigger one.
Always get your hands on a backpack that is made with the highest quality material. The stronger the material will be, the longer the backpack will last. Also, the zippers and stitching of the backpacks should also be strong as well.
Some backpacks come with hideaway shoulder straps, adjustable sternum straps, and extra shoulder straps. So, depending upon your need, you can pick out one that is the most suitable for you.
Having these additional straps is always helpful, they provide support while you are walking.
USB port in backpacks is newer and more of a modern feature. Not all backpacks have it but if you are someone who opts for more modern features then you should get a backpack with this feature. The USB port allows you to charge your phone.
Pockets and laptop compartment
Lastly, you have to consider the most important thing and that is the number of pockets in a backpack. The greater the number of pockets, the better it is because you can keep everything organized. You will know what is packed where and you can have an easier access.
Also, most backpacks have separate pockets for laptops. However, you need to make sure that those pockets must keep the laptops protected. Laptops are fragile and can be damaged if they get in contact with other items or sharp objects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Are all travel backpacks waterproof?
The answer to this is a big NO. We don’t want you to assume that all of them are water-proof. There are some that are made with water-repellent materials hence they are waterproof. Otherwise, the rest will get your stuff wet if you carry them in rain.
Are all travel backpacks allowed in flights?
There is a specific carry-on size defined by the airlines. Also, a certain number of kgs can be carried in a backpack. If your backpack meets that criteria then it will be allowed in the flight. The dimensions of carryon luggage defined by airlines are 9 x 14 x 22 inches. If your bag is smaller than this, you can definitely take it on the flight.
Is it better to travel with a backpack or suitcase?
Travelling with a backpack is much easier if you don’t have a lot of stuff. If you have a lot of things to carry then a suitcase is good. But for minimum things, backpack is perfect.
This is because it prevents you from the hassle of carrying a suitcase. You can just put a backpack on your back and you will be all good to go.
Are all backpacks unisex?
Most of them are designed for both men and women. However, there are some designs that are only for women while there are some that are only for men.
We created this article to help you pick the best of the best backpacks for travelling. We wish you best of luck!